mysqld_multi missing after mysql50-server install

Valentin Bud valentin.bud at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 10:16:49 PST 2008

Hello list,

 I have just installed mysql50-server from ports. I need to start
2 instances of mysqld. I have searched on dev.mysql.com how can I
accomplish that and there are 2 methods either using mysqld_multi
or mysqlmanager. After reading a little on mysql.com i decided i want
to go on mysqld_multi way because mysqlmanager will be removed in
6.0 and i want to use this 2 instances quite some time from now on.

 The only problem is that i couldn't find neither of them (mysqld_multi
or mysqlmanager) after installing mysql50-server. My system is
FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p5 amd64. I did some digging and extracted the sources
chnage dir to the sources dir and ./configure --help to see the
available options.
Found an options name --with-mysqlmanager. Went back to add this option to
the Makefile (CONFIGURE_ARGS section) reinstalled mysql50-server but
again the mysqlmanager program/script is missing. Am i missing something?

 And i found in /usr/local/share/mysql a script called
mysqld_multi.server which
doesn't run saying: "Can't execute /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_multi
from dir /usr/local/mysql".
Check to see if there is a dir called /usr/local/mysql but there isn't
one. I even did a
find / -name "mysqld_multi" without no success.

 So can someone point me in the right direction please.

thanks and a great day,