preparing for an upgrade

Kelly Martin kellymartin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 09:31:06 PST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Kelly Martin <kellymartin at gmail.com> wrote:
> This weekend I finally got around to trying freebsd-update on 6.2. It
> is there and works, but it would only update me to 6.2-RELEASE-p11. It
> told me 6.2 was past its end-of-life date (which I already knew).
> There was no obvious way to upgrade to 6.3 binaries. I checked the man
> page and the configuration file too. Maybe the newer version of
> freebsd-update allows upgrades between point versions? (ie., 6.3 ->
> 6.4 ?)

Well, I found the answer myself by comparing freebsd-update on FreeBSD
6.2 and 6.3. The version on 6.3 adds the -r newrelease option, which
doesn't exist on 6.2... so it looks like moving up a point release
using this tool is first possible with FreeBDD 6.3 -> 6.4. I know 6.2
isn't supported anymore, but it works fine for me.

kelly