cvsup: local

fire jotawski jotawski at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 23:43:55 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Lowell Gilbert <
freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:

> "fire jotawski" <jotawski at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 9:59 PM, Lowell Gilbert <
> > freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:

> repository
> >> into
> files.
> from
> >> the

> message.

> appreciated.
> >>
> >> To run cvsupd, you need the whole cvs tree for the collections you're
> >> handling, not just the checked-out files.
> >>
> >> Assuming these machines are attached by a protected network, a better
> >> approach (easier, anyway) would probably be to cvsup the changes to
> >> just one machine, then NFS-mount that machine's ports tree from the
> >> other machine.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area
> >>                http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/<http://be-well.ilk.org/%7Elowell/>
> <http://be-well.ilk.org/%7Elowell/>
> >>

> > thanks indeed and apologized me for postponing answer to all of postings.
> > what about cvs then.  i did  this
> >
> > cvs -d /home/ncvs checkout ports
> >
> > and i got some thing quite similar to ports tree indeed.
>
> What did you think that command was going to do?  Do you have a full cvs
> ports tree under /home/ncvs?  How did you get that?

i did cvsup with supfile given in example,
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile,
and set base to /var/db and prefix to /home/ncvs as suggested and then

cvsup -g -L 2 -h HOST /usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile

where HOST is the one that run fastest in local area around my country.

> My understanding was that you wanted to put the ports tree on one
> machine (call it the "master"), then use it to install ports on other
> machines that are local to the master.  The way to do that would be to
> use cvsup as normal on the master, and build all the ports there.  Then
> you can use NFS to mount /usr/ports on the other machines, and install
> the ports on them as well.  To speed things up, you can set WRKDIRPREFIX
> to point at local disk space on the client machines.  You can even have
> the master machine build packages, avoiding the need to build the ports
> from source on the clients.
>
> Does that make sense to you?  Do you need it described in more detail?

my real problem is that i can not do cvsup from any machine in my office.
but there is no problem at home.  so i simply bring my notebook home and do
cvsup as above.  later on at the office, i want my other machine get
/usr/src from my notebook but i can not and that's my problem.

and frankly speaking my english is quite poor, i spend the whole week end to
understand documents cited.
unfortunately, that bring me more problem and that's why i revert back to my
instinct with cvs.

anyway, i really appreciate all answers to me and still hope that you will
give me further helps.

with best regards,
psr