Xeon Quad Core (Was: Server Freezing Solid)

Chris Maness chris at chrismaness.com
Mon Nov 24 12:49:38 PST 2008

Roland Smith wrote:

>>> don't be suggested by "amd" in port name. it's for AMD64-compatible
>>> processor, for example your xeon
>>>
>> Sorry, I wasn't very clear.  I am currently running FreeBSD 7.0 the
>> regular i386 release.  I would prefer to keep it that way if migration
>> to the 64bit release would mean rebuilding from scratch
>>

> You'll have to remove and re-install all ports to make them 64-bits as well.
>

>> (there is
>> probably an easier way to convert an i386 release to a amd64 release).
>>

> Not really. You could do a cross-build to another partition, but you'd
> have to have one available.
>

>> Another poster seemed to indicate that the i386 release would run just
>> fine on a quad core chip.
>>

> It should.
>

>> Would there be a major performance gain with amd64 over that of the i386
>> build on a Xeon Quad Core?
>>

> It will depend on your workload. If your machines were strapped fo
> address space on i386, switching to amd64 (with enough RAM) will help.
>
> In "long" (64-bit) mode, amd64 compatible CPUs have more registers
> available, so that will speed up things. On the other hand, pointers and
> longs are 64-bit numbers instead of 32-bit, which will make the code
> somewhat larger. Run some benchmarks that are relevant for you on i386
> and re-run them after you've switched to amd64 to know for sure.
>
> I've been running amd64 since 5.4 on both Athlon64 and recently Core 2
> Quad without problems.
>
> Roland

Another thought.  Would a Quad Core chip help with compiling
applications -- or would it be the same as a dual core or single core
chip running at the same clock speed because the compiler is running
single thread?  Would php processing be benefited by quad a quad core
over a dual core.  If not, then I guess I should just purchase a dual
core chip and save the cabbage up front and wattage to boot.

Thanks,
Chris Maness