Xeon Quad Core (Was: Server Freezing Solid)

Chris Maness chris at chrismaness.com
Mon Nov 24 11:37:26 PST 2008

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> Since a Xeon Quad Core is a 64bit processor, would it work ok with
>> FreeBSD? Or would the adm64 release be better for that chip?
>
> don't be suggested by "amd" in port name. it's for AMD64-compatible
> processor, for example your xeon
Sorry, I wasn't very clear.  I am currently running FreeBSD 7.0 the
regular i386 release.  I would prefer to keep it that way if migration
to the 64bit release would mean rebuilding from scratch (there is
probably an easier way to convert an i386 release to a amd64 release).
Another poster seemed to indicate that the i386 release would run just
fine on a quad core chip.

Would there be a major performance gain with amd64 over that of the i386
build on a Xeon Quad Core?

Sorry, all this stuff is rather new to me as I have been running ancient
gear for a while.

Chris