Can't locate ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm

Greg Larkin glarkin at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 24 10:41:30 PST 2008

Noah wrote:

> Greg Larkin wrote:
>>
>> Noah Garrett Wallach wrote:
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> Okay I am unable to figure out how to get out of this loop.
>>> I try to build p5-Module-Install and the result error is Can't locate
>>> ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm
>>>
>>> when I attempt to build p5-ExtUtils-MakeMaker I cant because the module
>>> needs ExtUtils/Install.pm
>>>

>>> here is the output and perl -V too
>>>
>>> output tail from installing p5-Module-Install
>>>
>>> Cannot load ExtUtils::MakeMaker: Can't locate ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm in
>>> @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/mach
>>> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
>>> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/mach /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8 .) at (eval
>>> 1) line 1.
>>> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
>>> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/BSDPAN/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm line 17.
>>> Compilation failed in require at ./Makefile.PL line 8.
>>> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./Makefile.PL line 8.
>>> *** Error code 2
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Hi Noah,
>>
>> What is the output of the following command on your system?
>>
>> find /usr/local/lib/perl5 -name MakeMaker.pm -print
>>
>> Regards,
>> Greg
> sure
>

>  sudo find /usr/local/lib/perl5 -name MakeMaker.pm -print    [~]
> Password:
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/BSDPAN/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm

Hi Noah,

When I run the same command, I get 2 lines of output:

/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/BSDPAN/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm

The BSDPAN/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm file provides one overridden
subroutine, but the rest of the subroutines are loaded from the standard
ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm.  If that file is missing, then it's likely that
your Perl installation is corrupted.

Did you ever run a file utility that removes duplicate files in a
directory tree?  The files are not identical in content, but if the
utility removed based on name only, that could explain why one is missing.

Hope that helps,
Greg
- --
Greg Larkin