Soundcard problem

kenneth hatteland kenneth.hatteland at kleppnett.no
Sun Nov 23 12:57:19 PST 2008

After switching from FreeBSD 7.0 release to stable I have had a big
soundproblem.
When compiling a kernel as I used to with device sound and device
snd_emu10Kx as options I now get an error saying mixer is not configured
etc.And no sound at all.  Have tried several mixers to but to no avail,
I do not understand the problem enough to correct it.

Googling doesn`t help as no one reports the same error with audigy
soundcards.
If  I compile a kernel without the snd_emu10kx device sound works
partially, sometimes playing ok, and then often sounding like an alien
attacking ( digital noise of the horrible kind) Sooner or later the
system locks down after playing about 5 songs with normal sound forcing
me to hard switch the system off..  I find this extremely annoying.

Does anybody have a clue ? I am not sure which output you`d want me to
provide for this so instead of pasting every output I know I thought to
ask first...
I haven`t reversed my system to 7.0 release so that could maybe fix it,
but I was hoping to stay with 7.1 :)

Thanx for listening.....
Kenneth hatteland, Norway