auto-addm new tap device to existing bridge ...

Mario Lobo mlobo at digiart.art.br
Sun Nov 23 09:48:44 PST 2008

On Sunday 23 November 2008 02:22:02 Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Is this possible?
>
> I'm using qemu, and when I start it up, it auto-create a tap device if one
> isn't available ... but, having that tap device not attached to the bridge
> that does exist doesn't help much ... if there some flag I can set, or
> sysctl value, that will have the new tap device attach itself to an
> existing bridge device?
>
> thanks ...

in /etc/rc.conf, add:

autobridge_interfaces="bridge0"   <-- whatever you called your bridge
autobridge_bridge0="tap0 tap1 [tapn..]"
cloned_interfaces="bridge0"

forgot to add this:

Create a qemu-ifup script like this:

#!/usr/local/bin/bash
# qemu-ifup
/sbin/ifconfig $1 up
TEST=`ifconfig -a | grep member | grep $1`
if [ "$TEST" == "" ]; then
   /sbin/ifconfig bridge0 addm $1
fi

--