FreeBSD in VMWare box

Pieter Donche Pieter.Donche at ua.ac.be
Sat Nov 22 08:53:56 PST 2008

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008, Glen Barber wrote:

>>> This would be contingent on how you have networking set up.  Do you
>>> have NAT or Bridged only?  If NAT, use rc.conf with the inet address
>>> of your choice and the netmask for your NAT.
>>
>> My PC is connected to Internet using an ADSL modem to connect to an ISP.
>> It uses IP 10.0.0.somevalue, netmask 255.255.255.0, no gateway specified
>> and two DNS server IP addresses which my ISP asked to use.
>>
>> Is this 'NAT' or 'Bridged'.
>>

> You'd have to tell me; it's your VM. Check the network settings in the
> management interface.

(I previously installed an openSUSE 10.3 VM, and needed not enter any
TCP/IP parameter, and could use netwerking afterwards)

The default settings of my VMware are
(from Edit / Virtual Network Editor)

Summary
Virt. Network - Summary - Subnet - DHCP
VMnet0 (Bridged) - Bridged to an automatically choosen adapter - -
VMnet1 (Host-only) - A private nw shared with the host - 192.168.72.0 - Enabled
VMnet8 (NAT) - Used to share the host's IP address - 192.168.173.0 - Enabled

Automatic Bridging
CHECKED: AUtomatically choose an available physical netwerk adapter to
bridge to VMnet0

Host Virtual Netwerk Mapping
VMnet0	Brigded to an automatically chosen adapter
     (here I can also select my physical network card)
VMnet1 VMware Network Adapter VMnet1 (only choice)
VMnet2 (and 3 to 7 and 9): Not bridged
     (here I can also select my physical network card)
VMnet8 VMware Network Adapter VMnet8 (only choice)

Host Virtual Adapters
Network Adpater                  Virt.Nw   Status
VMware Network Adapter VMnet1     VMnet1   Enabled
VMware Network Adapter VMnet8     VMnet8   Enabled

DHCP
Virtual Network	Subnet	Netmask	Description
VMnet1	192.168.72.0	255.255.255.0  vmnet1
VMnet8	192.168.137.0	255.255.255.0  vmnet8

NAT
VMnet host:  VMnet8
Gateway IP address  : 192.168.137.2   [ grey ]
Netmask:              255.255.255.0   [ grey ]
Nat Service
  Service Status: Started
  Service request: [ empty ]