FreeBSD 7.0 fdisk issue during installation

Jonatan Evald Buus jonatan.buus at cellpointmobile.com
Fri Nov 21 13:41:09 PST 2008

Hi Jerry,
Thank you for the swift and very thorough response.

If I understand you correctly, then I should only create 1 slice of the
entire disk (seeing as FreeBSD will be the only OS) using fdisk and then
partition the slice using bsdlabels from sysinstall?
Previously I was aiming for 5 slices, each of which had a single partition
as described below.

>From your explanation I take it that "slices" are what Windows refers to as
"Primary Partitions"?
If that's the case then I understand the behaviour I experienced.

Is it possible to make a slice non-bootable?
And would there be any benefits (less fragmentation, faster access time
etc.) in using slices rather than partitions to layout the harddrive or
should slices only be used to represent a physical harddrive?

Appreciate the clarification

Cheers
Jona

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> partitions within a slice (plus write the slice boot block.
>
> Typically, you want to make partition 'a' be the root (/) filesystem
> and 'b' be swap space on a bootable system slice.   Some things assume
> these designations.
>
> Then you newfs partitions a, d, e, f, g, h or as many as you use.
> But don't touch c and don't newfs b if it is to be swap.
>
> ////jerry
>
> > "Error mounting /mnt/dev/X on /mnt/usr. No such file or directory"
> > Using only 4 slices seems to have solved this error, however I'd like the
> > disk layout to use 5 slices as follows:
> > / = 512MB
> > swap = 2048MB (the machine has 1024MB RAM)
> > /tmp = 512MB
> > /var = 2048MB
> > /usr = whatever remains
> > I noticed that when having 5 slices, the last slice (/usr) would be named
> > rather than ad2s5 as I'd expect (the drive was detected as ad2).
> > Is this behaviour related to the error in any way?
> > Also, is the above disk layout good for a server intended to run both a
> web
> > server (Apache) and a database server (PostGreSQL) ?
> >
> > Finally after installation (using only 4 slices) the system will only
> boot
> > if the FreeBSD boot manager is used.
>
> That is probably because you have created what is referred to in the
> documentation as a "dangerously dedicated" disk.   You can make it
> work that way.  FreeBSD can handle it.   But other systems will not
> play nicely with it.
>
> > This in turn causes a 4 menu options, all of them named "FreeBSD" to
> appear
> > during startup despite only the / slice having been set as bootable in
> fdisk
> > which appears to be indicated by an "A" in the flag column.
>
> Again, because you tried to do it the wrong way.   You created 4 FreeBSD
> slices, probably each with an MBR and so the BIOS and the first MBR think
> they are all bootable.
>

> > Selecting the first menu item by pressing F1 will make the system boot as
> > expected.
> > It seems rather silly though to use a boot manager when FreeBSD is the
> only
> > operating system that is installed (and ever will be installed) on the
> > machine.
>
> You can put in the other non-boot manager block during installation
> if you want and it will only boot FreeBSD.   But, something is needed.
> I forget what they call it in the sysinstall screen, but you might just
> as well put in the FreeBSD boot manager (MBR).
>
> > If the FreeBSD boot manager is not used however and only the MBR is set
> > during installation, the system will fail at startup with error "Invalid
> > Partition Table".
> > Is this because the harddrive is installed as the Secondary Master on the
> > IDE bus?
>
> No, it is because you did not create any partition table (with bsdlabel).

JONATAN EVALD BUUS

Executive Vice President Open Systems and Telecommunications

Mobile US  +1 (305) 331-5242
Mobile DK  +45 2888 2861
Telephone  +1 (305) 777-0392
Fax.          +1 (305) 777-0449