smbfs 2 GB file size limit

Chris Pratt eagletree at hughes.net
Thu Nov 20 12:05:15 PST 2008

On Nov 20, 2008, at 7:21 AM, David Horn wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 7:07 AM, Derek Ragona
>>>
>>> No error message, it just stopped writing at 1 Gb.  I was doing
>>> this using
>>> scp.
>>
>> Whoa, hopefully you just made a few typos here, or we are going down
>> the wrong path of investigation.
>>
>> Did you really mean to say scp or cp ?
>>      scp(1)                   - secure copy (remote file copy
>> program)
>>      cp(1)                    - copy files

> What ssh version is running on both of these "other" systems ?
> What OS are both of these other systems ?
>

>> So it looks to me like there is some issue with the scp that is
>> within
>> FreeBSD i386 7.
>>

> As per my previous message, I still suggest running single variable
> tests to make sure that you know what is causing the failure, but if
> you just want to jump to a possible solution, you can try updating ssh
> to the latest in the ports tree (5.0p1).
>
> If you have the FreeBSD ports collection installed and updated using
> portsnap(8) or csup(1) , just do:
>
> cd /usr/ports/security/openssh-portable
> make install
>
> Otherwise, install / update your ports collection using portsnap(8)
> (fetch update or fetch extract) first, then install openssh-portable.
>
> Good Luck.
>
> ---Dave

I apologize in advance if this has nothing to do with this. I'd ignored
this thread completely since it had "SMB" in the subject. Today I
noticed the comments shown above that it was apparently actually
related to ssh (scp). The fired a synapse of a recent session failure
I was having after updating a server to 7.0 that normally accrues
about a gig of changes a day. My backup server was running 5.5
and rsyncing the diffs each day. After the upgrade of the application
server, the 5.5 client began to hang it's rsync session every day. I
updated
the 5.5 server to 7.0 (which OBTW replaced the ssh suite) and the
problem disappeared. I didn't see in the thread what the actual ssh
client OS or rev was but perhaps the client is downrev and there is an
issue there. I did no research to figure out why, having my backup
server so far downrevved made it's upgrade my first potshot and it
worked.