Running X without a videocard

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Nov 20 01:32:36 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:58:40PM -0600, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
> > X windows has client/server built into the protocol: you can run an X
> > application on a machine that has no video card and display the result
> > on another machine that has video facility and an X display (called an
> > X server).
>
> Does anyone know of a tutorial or a how-to, I would like to try this out.

Not sure if it is of help to you. I use XDMCP on the clients' side,
and X -query xx.xx.xx.xx on the sever side.
YOu need to be in the trusted network. Have a look at this thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-questions@freebsd.org/index.html#194794

and at the xdm(1) man page.

--
Anton Shterenlikht