boot-time daemon startup (was Re: Newbie question)

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Nov 19 11:12:32 PST 2008

"Gary Hartl" <ghartl at gmail.com> writes:

> I've been out of the bsd loop for a bit, i'm trying to setup nagios which is
> fine
>

> There are a couple of settings that I either don't remember or never
> remembered and forgot that I never knew it.
>

> Ok so nagios is asking me for an rc.d path, which if i recall FBSD doesn't
> use it is a linux script path for starting services at different run levels.

Any reason you're not installing it from the port?  Someone has already
done the porting effort for you.

FreeBSD doesn't use runlevels in that sense, but it does have a fairly
involved rc.d facility.  Try "man rc.d".

> So does FBSD emulate it for certain packages cause Nagios finds it at
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d but the only thing i have in it is webmin.sh which is
> for my webmin interface (although I must confess I'm not sure why it is
> there or what it is doing).

Presumably you installed webmin from the ports system?

> I must also admit i feel rather retarded, since I used to know this stuff
> like the back of my hand, but it's been 6-7 years since i've been actively
> using FBSD but am looking to get back into it.

That's okay; things haven't stayed static in the FreeBSD world anyway.

> Rc.d anyone?

On FreeBSD?  Everyone, pretty much.

> My assumption is that FBSD is using inetd for starting services correct?

No. inetd isn't even started these days unless you override FreeBSD's
defaults on purpose.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/