Running X without a videocard

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Nov 19 08:57:36 PST 2008

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:10:28 -0500, "Gary Hartl" <ghartl at gmail.com> wrote:
> when i do this:
> export DISPLAY=192.168.0.100:0
> xterm
>
> first it tells me that export can't befound, I guess that is because it is a
> built it.

Important question here: What's your shell? If you're using FreeBSD's
standard dialog shell, the C shell, export won't work because it's from
sh or bash.

> So I added to my .profile the following
> 	DISPLAY=192.168.0.100:0
>       export DISPLAY
> Logged out and logged back in.
> Alas no display variable
> When i run xterm it tells me that there is not display variable.

Make sure you're using bash (see your shell setting from the chsh
command or echo $SHELL).

If you're using the C shell, you can use the setenv command instead.

	% setenv DISPLAY 192.168.0.100:0
	% xterm

See the advice regarding xhost in order to have the correct
permissions to run the applications from the desired X server.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0