newb questions

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 19 05:35:08 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 08:16:36AM -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> 1. when I run startx it auto logs me in on a minimal gui ( twm?). I installed
> gnome, I think, and want to log in using gnome, how do I change that?
>
> 2. I cannot su - to root, it says sorry. pam_group didn't seem like the
> answer, or I didn't read  it right. How can I su to root from my account?
> Is there anything special to able to do that from ssh?

I can't answer question #1.

As for #2, you need to add your username to the "wheel" group in
/etc/group.  That's all.  (You will have to log out then back in for the
changes to take effect)

> 3. the boot loader... This server has 2 drives, and I already had w2k server
> on drive 1, and ubuntu-server on drive 2. when I boot, I now get options for
> F2-DOS ( win2k boots) and F5 disk0/1. I can't seem to find any option for my
> ubuntu OS. Is there a way to change that bootloader option to
> add /dev/sdb6-ubuntu?

I think boot0cfg is the tool you'll want to use for this.  I've never
been in this situation, so I don't have a command to give you.  You can
use boot0cfg -v <disk> (e.g. boot0cfg -v ad0) to get information about
the boot0 configuration.

> maybe I was looking in the wrong documentation, if any/all of this is in the
> docs, which one? the handbook?

Yes.