preparing for an upgrade

Kelly Martin kellymartin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 16:15:02 PST 2008

With the release of FreeBSD 6.4 imminent, I'd like to prepare for an
upgrade from FreeBSD 6.2 -> 6.4. Please excuse my ignorance but in my
mind here's what I plan to do when it's available:

1. install / run the upgrade script using CD-ROM media to a 6.4
GENERIC kernel, reboot
2. customize the kernel to my hardware (like I did in 6.2), reboot
3. portsnap fetch update (to get the latest ports tree for 6.4)
4. portupgrade -ai (to upgrade any outdated ports)

Will this work?

I'm a little confused about different versions of the ports tree. What
I mean is, I keep updating my FreeBSD 6.2 ports tree and have never
had any problems... it just works. I'm assuming the 6.4 ports tree is
a little different and specific to 6.4? The port system is **so much
better** than using ports on my OpenBSD systems!

thanks,
kelly