Newbie question

Gary Hartl ghartl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 14:41:09 PST 2008

Hi all;

Quick newbie question.

I've been out of the bsd loop for a bit, i'm trying to setup nagios which is
fine

There are a couple of settings that I either don't remember or never
remembered and forgot that I never knew it.

Ok so nagios is asking me for an rc.d path, which if i recall FBSD doesn't
use it is a linux script path for starting services at different run levels.

So does FBSD emulate it for certain packages cause Nagios finds it at
/usr/local/etc/rc.d but the only thing i have in it is webmin.sh which is
for my webmin interface (although I must confess I'm not sure why it is
there or what it is doing).

I must also admit i feel rather retarded, since I used to know this stuff
like the back of my hand, but it's been 6-7 years since i've been actively
using FBSD but am looking to get back into it.

Rc.d anyone?

My assumption is that FBSD is using inetd for starting services correct?

Thanks

Gary