[OT] printing question

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Tue Nov 18 11:23:22 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 07:51:47PM +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:49:44AM -0600, Andrew Gould wrote:
> > Time to buy a new printer.  I don't print much from FreeBSD; but the
> > need occasionally arises.  Most of my printing is done while using
> > Mac OS X.  The Epson Artisan 800 is looking awfully nice; but it's
> > not in the Linux printing database yet
> > (http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi).
> >
> > Question:  Since Mac OS X uses CUPS, if I share the printer on the
> > Mac, will I need to worry about FreeBSD compatibility of the
> > printer?  I only need printing functions (not scan, etc) for the
> > FreeBSD computer.
>
> I'm not sure that apple uses a non-modified CUPS. It is conceivable
> that they have incorporated extra (not open) drivers that aren't in
> the standard distribution.

MacOS X will share a printer with Windows. I don't know how the driver
thing is negotiated. The Mac may happily accept Postscript and then do
whatever is needed to print.

> If you want to be safe, buy a printer that understands PostScript.
> That will work on FreeBSD (and all other UNIX variants).

Sounds like the OP is looking for color. If B&W is enough my favorite
inexpensive printer is the Brother HL-5250DN. Speaks Postscript-clone,
PCL-5 and PCL-6. Direct network connection so each computer speaks
directly to the printer. Duplex. About 25 ppm. Third party toner reloads
cost about $25 for 5,000 pages. The printer sells for $150 to $250
depending on sales and whether you can find a refurbished unit.

Years ago I had access to an HP 5000N that would print photo quality
matte (not glossy) B&W on plain paper. Not quite sure what it is about
the Brother (or printer drivers because this was pre-MacOS X) but I
enjoyed wonderful cheap B&W prints off the HP but the Brother isn't
nearly as good. Text and line graphics are excellent.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net