FreeBSD Media Center

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 08:36:52 PST 2008

Gary Hartl wrote:
> Hi all;
>

> I have an old laptop (Dell Inspiron 7500), P3 550mhz, 256mb ram 20 gig hdd.
>

> I am wondering what the validity of putting FBSD on it running VLC or
> something like that feeding to my tv.
>

> Anyone with any feedback on this.

I believe it will work in this respect, though it will probably be
unable to run high bit rate movies.  It should play the average DivX
though.
I would go with a minimal X environment and mplayer (the command line
version) which I feel is the best in decoding media files (vlc is also a
good choice).

> Or is there a FBSD Media Center project out either in alpha or beta?
>

> Thanks
>

> Gary

Well, mythtv is in the ports tree,  and is the first that comes to mind.
I've never used it myself and as I understand it is going to be kind of
an overkill for this machine of yours.