FreeBSD and hardware??

Manfred Usselmann usselmann.m at icg-online.de
Tue Nov 18 07:16:34 PST 2008

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:18:13 +0100 (CET)
Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> >> usage or need.
> >
> > You seem to be reserving FBSD only for the experts. I wouldn't be
> > here
>
> is someone that simply use unix an expert?
>
> no.
>

> > By constantly repeating that UNIX is no Windows replacement you are
>
> and i will repeat it because it's true. it's every other unix
> replacement.
>
> as linux tries for many years to be windows replacement - it's both
> low end unix and low end windows replacement, "windows for poor".

This is nonsense. The Windows interface itself is quite limited and not
very powerful. Compared e.g. with the old OS/2 desktop, which was
really powerful, flexible (and object oriented). How disappointed I was
when Win/95 came out being an OS/2 user at that time. From what I have
read even the user interface of Mac OS X is much better that Windows
although they have a much smaller market share. Anyhow, of course you
can fully replace Windows with a unix(-like) system and a suitable
desktop enviroment (e.g. KDE, Gnome, XFCE). It depends on your specific
requirements and if applications exist which do what you need. But
saying that GUI's under Unix are per se inferior is just spreading FUD.
Leave that to MS. ;-)

Just a small example, how limited Windows really is: Even today it is
not possible to configure the standard interface of Windows XP (Luna)
in any other color than blue, olive green and silver. LOL.

The only advantage Windows has is that many people are used to it.

--
Manfred Usselmann <usselmann.m at icg-online.de>