smbfs 2 GB file size limit

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Tue Nov 18 04:07:05 PST 2008

At 12:23 AM 11/18/2008, David Horn wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:36 PM, Derek Ragona
><derek at computinginnovations.com> wrote:
> > I have FreeBSD 7.0 Release and if I mount_smbfs  a network NTFS share I
> have
> > a 2 GB size limit on files.  I checked the handbook and list archives but
> > have not found a solution.
>
>I just ran a quick test, and was not able to reproduce this issue with
>the mount_smbfs from FreeBSD 7.0.  I tried against a Windows 2003
>Server SP2, Windows XP SP3, and Samba 3.0 {on FreeBSD 7} with a 3.5GB
>file.
>
>Was your issue with reading from or writing to a SMB share ?

It was writing to a smb share.

>What is the server software and OS version ?
>(if Microsoft Windows, please include Service Pack number as well, as
>it might make a difference)

Windows 2003 server 32bit.

>How much disk space is left on your server volume ?

Over a terabyte free

>Are there disk quotas enabled on the server ?

None

>What error message are you getting from your FreeBSD client (if any) ?

No error message, it just stopped writing at 1 Gb.  I was doing this using scp.

>Can you check the smb server logs and see if you are getting any error
>messages there ?

Well I'm just mounting the volume to FreeBSD from the Windows server so not
sure I'll find much in the logs besides the system log, but I will look.

>You may want to get a Wireshark trace and see if you can capture the
>SMB error message/error code.
>
>I have heard of people running into similar problems when running
>against older server software (NT 4.0/old samba) when the SMB session
>did not negotiate large file/large write support (a function of the
>SMB server capabilities session negotiation)

I saw posts to that effect and that you needed samba 3.x to support large
files sizes, and the lfs option.  But the mount_smbfs doesn't offer any
large file option.

> >  Supposedly there is an smbmount as part of the
> > standard samba, but that doesn't seem to install from any of the samba
> > ports.
>
>smbmount is not included in the FreeBSD port of samba, as it is Linux
>kernel specific.  mount_smbfs(8) is the correct userland app.
>
>You could always try the samba smbclient(1) to access SMB shares using
>an FTP-like environment.

I saw that as an option.  I may try that to test this issue.

> > Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Sorry I do not have a good solution for you.  Perhaps someone else
>will give you better advice.

Thanks for the help!

         -Derek

believed to be clean.