Official FreeBSD Forums

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Mon Nov 17 14:37:20 PST 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 04:23:55PM -0600, Steven Susbauer wrote:
> cpghost wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 09:04:28AM -0700, Brad Davis wrote:
> >> You can register and start using our new service here:
> >>
> >> http://forums.FreeBSD.org
> >
> > How about setting up a bidirectional Forum <-> Mailing List bridge?
> > Perhaps to freebsd-questions@ or (not as good) to a special new list,
> > say, freebsd-forums@?
> >
> > Ideally, freebsd-questions@ could be bidirectionally mirrored
> > to the forums, so we won't lose all those helpful people from
> > freebsd-questions@ to the forums!
> >
> > Another advantage is that each of us subscribers could still
> > automatically get a copy of posts, so we can archive them locally,
> > as we do now with the mailing lists.
> >
> > Please give it a thought.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -cpghost.
>
> I think this would likely cause a riot, at least with freebsd-questions.
> I think it is a better idea to leave them separate. A few things like
> resolving categories alone could end up being a problem. Do you not
> allow people to start new threads? If you do, where do they end up on
> the forum?
>   Steve

Hmmm... yes, on second thought not such a bright idea. But perhaps a
bridge to an archiving-only mailing list (freebsd-forums@) similar to
freebsd-cvs@ for forum posts could be set up anyway?

IMHO there should be a way to archive forum posts in some way, and
make them available in near real-time to users whose workflow is
much more geared towards mailing lists. One might miss an interesting
forum thread, because not everyone looks regularly there, but missing
a catchy subject line in an MUA from the forums may be more difficult.

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/