re changing from vista

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Mon Nov 17 01:03:58 PST 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 11:54 -0800, Charlie Kester wrote:
> * Da Rock <rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au> [2008-11-16 15:21:27 +1000]:
>

> >The reason for sending the OP to linux first is they will not be
> >deterred by the driver and hardware issues. Linux IS easier in this way,
> >and has a greater support for hardware that is used outside of a server
> >environment. It also allows them to learn the *nix methodology and
> >software.
>
> To the extent that Linux succeeds in making things "just work", it will
> prevent or at least delay the user's learning the Unix way.
>
> Most of us got our Unix knowledge the old-fashioned way: we earned it.
> We stumbled over one problem or another and fought our way through to a
> solution.
>
> When things "just work", only the technically curious will explore
> beneath the hood to see exactly how they work.
>
> Maybe we shouldn't make it a goal that every user should have that kind
> of deep-water knowledge?
>
> Should it really be a goal that every user become familiar with the
> shell and commandline tools?  Why not let them live happily ever after
> in a point-and-click world?

Maybe, but they will still hit some issues, and they will still find
things very different than what they're used to in windows- this in
itself is deep enough water for most that are very M$-centric. Why make
it harder?

Let them get used to the environment, see what actually happens when
things are plugged in and what not, then eventually they will be forced
to go to the cli to do exactly what they want. Once they get passed the
initial chill of the water then they can ease into the *nix methods on
the cli, and then they will be more comfortable to use Unix outright,
solve the issues with the hardware/software/uses they wish to put it to.

Maybe we differ in opinion just a little this way...