How can rsync with ssh be used on a non standard ssh port

eculp at casasponti.net eculp at casasponti.net
Sun Nov 16 18:04:10 PST 2008

Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org> escribió:

> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 09:43:39AM -0600, eculp at casasponti.net wrote:
>> Test example.
>>
>> I need to sync a directory from my machine to another that is using port
>> 722 rather than 22.  I can use ssh -pm722, scp -P 722 fine but I prefer
>> rsync for the backup due to configuration flexibility.  The man says:
>>
>> rsync [OPTION...] SRC... rsync://[USER@]HOST[:PORT]/DEST
>>
>> Which I translate to something like:
>>
>> rsync -avz /almacen/testDir rsync://backupMachine.com:722/backup/
>>
>> but I get the following:
>>
>> rsync: server sent "SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.1p1 FreeBSD-20080901" rather than
>> greeting
>> rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at
>> main.c(1504) [sender=3.0.4]
>>
>> I've tried variants to the point of no return.  Help would be appreciated.
>
> Check out the -e flag for rsync.  There are examples of how to use this
> inside of the rsync(1) man page.

I can't believe I missed that.  Unfortunately I found the other first.
  Just for the record. a simple:

rsync -avze 'ssh -p 722' /almacen/TestDir backupMachine.com:/backup/

worked as expected.

Thanks,

ed

P.S. I also apologize to the list for sending two emails in the
morning.  I thought I had canceled the first but yet another error.  I
shouldn't work on Sundays ;)