re changing from vista

R Dicaire kritek at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 12:06:09 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Charlie Kester <corky1951 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Users can also contribute by helping to refine the requirements for
> software.  For example, my son is an animator and he and I have often
> discussed various graphics tools.  In his opinion, the Gimp is a
> powerful tool which provides almost every tool or technique an artist
> might want, but it's unusable because its user interface doesn't reflect
> the way artists actually do their work.  He says this isn't just that
> they're used to Photoshop or whatever; there's something about the
> nature of the task that the Gimp fails to accommodate in a natural,
> effortless way.  He says the Gimp feels like a tool designed by software
> engineers rather than artists.

Interesting analogy, and your overall point makes sense. Here's a
question regarding the attitude towards moves to new software and the
expectation it behave like $OTHER_PROGRAM. Photoshop had to be learned
to be used initially. The questions are, does a user *want* to spend
the time to learn a new interface? What do they gain by doing so? Is
there a commercial drive behind the change?