re changing from vista

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Nov 16 04:17:16 PST 2008

Excuse me for entering this discussin. You're completely right
in what you're saying, and I'ld like to add this:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 21:03:45 -0500, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu> wrote:
> So, let him learn a meaningful server environment.

FreeBSD isn't a "server only OS", it's versatile and can be used
as an excellent desktop solution. That's what I'm doing since 4.0 -
using it exclusively (!) on the desktop. And it's completely possible
without the feeling to have something missing. I'm not joking at
you, that's my real individual experience.

I changed from Linux to FreeBSD, so I had good basic knowledge,
and I never had used any "Windows" before, so I wasn't "spoiled"
by MICROS~1's strange concepts of how to do certain things, so
I cannot speak for the vast majority of computer users. :-)

To summarize: Unlike the different "Windows" things, you can use
FreeBSD as a desktop, as a server, and for any "mixed form" of
these appliances without any problems. Of course, you'll have to
learn *how* to do this, but it's not that you can't learn or do
it.

FreeBSD will open the door for you to other interesting fields
of information technology. The things you've learned using FreeBSD
will help you using OpenBSD or NetBSD, or Solaris and oder UNIXes.
If you've understood the generic principles, the whole world is
open to you.

FreeBSD always meant fun to me using the computer. I hope you'll
feel so, too.

"In a world without walls and fences - who needs windows and gates?!"
:-)

Don't be frightened, try out FreeBSD.

--
Polytropon