Problems with Xfce & console

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 05:16:14 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 2:19 AM, Bernt Hansson <bernt at bah.homeip.net> wrote:
> Hello list
>
> When exiting xfce to return to my console, xfce put my graphicscard in
> an unusable state i.e no picture and my monitors led blinks slowly as if
> it where in powersave/suspend mode. This do not happen with fluxbox,
> windowmaker or twm. Commenting out the "Virtual" directive helps but
> then I have to set the reolution every time xfce is started.
>
> The other WM's get really strange resolutions if "Virtual" is commented
> out, like 2880x1400 and such.
>
> Is it a driver or xfce issue?
>
> %uname -a
> FreeBSD testbox 7.0-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p3 #0: Thu Aug 28
> 14:13:44 CEST 2008     root at testbox:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> xorg.conf
>
> Section "Device"
>        Identifier  "his radeon 3870"
>        Driver      "radeon"
> #       BusID   "PCI:1:0:0"
>        Option "DDCMode" "1"    Driver specific option
>        Option "PanelSize" "1280x1024"  Driver specific option
> EndSection
>

> Section "Screen"
>    Identifier  "Screen 1"
>    Device      "his radeon 3870"
>    Monitor     "Hitachi CM752ET"
>    DefaultDepth 24
>
>    Subsection "Display"
>        Depth       24
>        Modes      "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024" "1600x1200"
>        Virtual     1280 1024
>       ViewPort    0 0
>    EndSubsection
> EndSection

Are you using the proper driver?  Is the driver up to date?

I have posted several times on this list regarding this issue.  I have
had the same problem with my nVidia card (when I don't have the driver
installed).

Did you install the driver from ports, pkg_add? (Or at all?)

--
Glen Barber

"If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a Unix user to
show you how it's done."
 --Scott Adams