re changing from vista

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Fri Nov 14 13:11:34 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 12:19:34PM -0800, Jim Pazarena wrote:

> Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >>please can you help me i am totally confused i want to change from
> >>windows vista
> >>
> >>but i cannot understand which system to use
> >
> >maybe windows XP?
> >

> >>i am not sure if freebsd will work with my hardware and software
> >
> >simply check it.
>
> unless you think this may be a troll,
> your comments seem a great way to chase away a potential convert to FreeBSD.

Yes, curt answers are generally not helpful to newbies.
They might occasionally (rarely) be relevant for experienced userd
but are not welcome in circumstances like this.

The reply is suggesting the Original Poster (OP) just try out FreeBSD
and see if it works for him.   Really, that is a good idea.  But there is
help available before that in the FreeBSD Handbook and the FAQ and
some online publications available for free around the net.

So, go to the FreeBSD web page.
Click on the  'Learn More'  and  'New to FreeBSD?' links  about 1/3 the way
down the page and read what is there and follow some of the more interesting
links.   Then click on 'Documentation' and get a little familiar with that.

By then, you should at least have some idea of what FreeBSD is all about.

Then you can ask more specific questions or more importantly, downlod the
most recent version (7.1 by then) and install it, preferably on a fresh
disk, and play around.  You can't hurt anything that can't be fixed by
just trashing it all and starting over.

FreeBSD is very different from Microsloth stuff.   Most especially it has
a completely different attitude toward the way to develop, install, administer
and use an Operating System.   There is much less GUI stuff and more learning
about how the system actually works -- but along with that there is much
more control over the system and much more freedom to make it do what
you really want rather than what some marketing suit thinks you should
want to do with it.   It is really all layed out wide open for you to dig
in and do what you want.  But, because of that, you have to take some
responsibility to learn the how and what and why of it.

So, have fun,

////jerry