immediate reboot switching window (alt-tab) to google earth

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Thu Nov 13 10:34:16 PST 2008

I figured I'd make my pain public, but I doubt we're ever going to
find the cause, because there's no crashdump (and yes, unplugging a
mounted usb stick causes a real panic and dump so it is configured
correctly) - immediate freeze for 60 seconds, then skipped the panic &
went straight to the reboot.  Anyway, if there are other reports,
here's mine.  I'd like to blame X, since I have yet to observe an X
that really felt stable to me, but I suspect the culprit is more
likely linux-base-fc4...shame.  I suppose I shouldn't be surprised
that running linux programs makes BSD as unstable as linux.  I just
wish there was some foolproof way to protect the OS from apps killing
it.  But, who really cares, it's just my desktop, right?  I don't run
this crap on my server.

Steve

google-earth-4.3.7284.3916_2 Explore, Search and Discover
linux_base-fc-4_13  Base set of packages needed in Linux mode (for i386/amd64)
linux-xorg-libs-6.8.2_5 Xorg libraries, linux binaries
linux-glib2-2.6.6_1 Version 2.X Linux/i386 binary port of GLib
xorg-7.3_2          X.Org complete distribution metaport
xorg-drivers-7.3_3  X.org drivers meta-port
xorg-libraries-7.3_2 X.org libraries meta-port
xorg-server-1.4.2,1 X.Org X server and related programs
FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #1: Mon Sep 29 21:12:11 MST 2008