Server Freezing Solid

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Nov 12 22:16:53 PST 2008

Really high quality pneumatic tools (industrial grade) can be completely
disassembled, cleaned, and repaired.  The consumer grade stuff usually
can't.

In large shops, the usual procedure is to distribute the air with
really long runs of pipe and put water traps at the end - that's
probably what your thinking of with a drier.  The traps fill up
and every once in a while you open their petcocks and they pee
old sock-smelling water out on your shoes.

With a small pancake compressor it is generally satisfactory to
run it without a drier, and at the end of the day, pour a couple teaspoons
of air tool oil into the tool air intake then reconnnect the airline and
give it a puff to distribute the oil.

> [snip]
> > I ran
> > into a couple of post stating that the Abit VP6 had issues with
> > components that fail.  This seems to have happened.  The old 1U box I
> > switched the hardrive to yesterday is working flawlessly.  However,
> > this machine is a little on the underpowered side.
> >

> Without actually checking, if memory serves there were a number
> of products
> from that time frame that used inferior electrolytic filter caps. You can

The story I read was that the Chinese companies decided to get into making
electrolytic caps a number of years ago.  They sent spies into the
Japanese companies to steal the electrolyte formula.  Unknown to
them the Japanese had anticipated this and so each batch of
electrolyte was secretly treated with a stabilizer chemical that only the
top chemists in the company knew about.  The production chemists
were unaware of it.  When the Chinese firms stole the electrolytic
formula, they produced caps that lacked this stabilizer.  The result
was the electrolyte broke down and the cap split.

I don't know if it's a true story or not, but it sounded good!

Ted