FreeBSD 5.4 - filesystem full

Thierry Herbelot thierry.herbelot at free.fr
Wed Nov 12 11:13:19 PST 2008

Le Wednesday 12 November 2008, Varshavchick Alexander a écrit :
> I have an old enough server with FreeBSD 5.4 which from time to time
> complains about filesystem full. But the problem is that the partition
> in question has about 15G free space and more than 10000000 free inodes.
> Then all by itself the error dissapears, only to be repeated several hours
> later. What can it be and where to look? The server runs mainly apache and
> sendmail, nothing special.

Hello,

I saw a full disk because of a runaway background fsck : bg_fsck built some
image of the disk in the top-level ".snap" directory, which grew and grew and
grew ....

the workaround was to reboot in single-user, then fsck in foreground, and
finally switch to Zfs (but obviously, only for a Releng7 machine)

	TfH