Server Freezing Solid

Chris Maness chris at chrismaness.com
Tue Nov 11 07:51:28 PST 2008

Roland Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 06:42:39AM -0800, Chris Maness wrote:
>
>> I am having a new problem.  I have been running FreeBSD for years with
>> no crashing.  All of a sudden my server starts crashing with no panic
>> messages.  I am suspecting hardware because there are no messages, but
>> the CPU temp is fine.
>>
>> Weird --maybe bad RAM?
>>

> Could be. But you can test RAM with e.g. memtest86.
>
> Or it could be a bad component (e.g. a capacitator) somewhere on the
> motherboard or in the powersupply. Or a spike or drop in the external power.
>
> Roland

I have swapped the HD back to the old box.  I am up and running again.
If it doesn't crash today, I can be certain the ol' grey mare needs to
be taken out back and shot.  Dual PIII on a Abit server board c. 2000.

I hear that the Abit boards have issues with components.

Anyone recommend a cheap (not necessarily the latest technology) mobo
for my server?  I am running a low load SoHo server here at the house.

Chris Maness