trouble getting x11 xdm to work

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Nov 11 04:24:02 PST 2008

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:48:51 +0800, Fbsd1 <fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> Startx works ok so not xorg problem. Next question is are the xdm
> configuration files suppose to work as delivered by the port install AS IS?
> As a default config demo?

Ha - "xdm configuration files" memory flash ahead! :-)

Go check them. They are located in /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm. I have
two modified files:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  23 Mar 18  2008 Xresources@ -> /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  23 Mar 18  2008 xdm-config@ -> /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config

(It's in /etc for custom lazyness, but you can make changes to the
files in the original xdm directory if you want.)

But I think you didn't change these files, so everything should still
be the standard settings... so I need to say, this would not
be the source of the problem...

If I just knew how I solved the problem you're describing... I
really had this once, and I think the solution was very simple,
allthough it wasn't obvious, and maybe had nothing to do with X...

After all, the obervation indicate that X isn't started
correctly for xdm, but what surprises me is that X is started
correctly from a regular user's account...

Mysterious...
VEB Mysteron Merkwürdigkeitenwerk Karl-Marx-Stadt... :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0