trouble getting x11 xdm to work

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Tue Nov 11 04:14:35 PST 2008

On Tuesday 11 November 2008 12:48:51 Fbsd1 wrote:
> Mel wrote:

> >> I turned that off all ready before running xdm from root command line.
> >
> > What does xdm -debug 1 turn up? You said nothing related to xdm
> > in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, but it would still be helpful to see the last
> > lines of the file, so we know why X quit. And since Xorg.0.log isn't
> > timestamped, check if the last modification time of the file corresponds
> > with the last time you ran the command. This will determine if xdm
> > actually gets to the stage of starting the X server or gives up sooner.
> > You may also want to set the -error option (see man xdm) and check if
> > anything useful is written there.
> > With current information, the possible causes range from errors in a
> > configuration file xdm reads on start up to X display problems.
>
> Startx works ok so not xorg problem.

And you know this why? This may come as a surprise, but startx does different
things then xdm. Even having a DISPLAY environment variable set to a
non-existing resource, would stop X from starting.

> Next question is are the xdm
> configuration files suppose to work as delivered by the port install AS IS?
> As a default config demo?

Yes. When I said 'range', I did mean range. Not 2 possibilities. Missing
libraries, tainted environment, typos, tied up resources, tight security
settings, existing pid file, xdm not being xdm but an aliased command or
shell script sooner up in the path - that's just from the top of my head.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.