X11: 1280x768

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Tue Nov 11 03:27:59 PST 2008

On Tuesday 11 November 2008 12:12:06 Pieter Donche wrote:
> On the same portable there is also a SUSE Linux 10.1 and WinXP, which works
> in 1280x768 (so the hardware can use this resolution)
>
> In /var/log/Xorg.0.log is see many references to 1280x768 for the 'local
> flat panel' , PanelID returned panel resolution: 1280x768, also
> Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
> 3 lines
> (||) 1810(0): Modeline "1280x768"x0.0  (followed by varying numbers and
> a KhZ to end)
> follewed y
> Mode: 30 (640x480)
>    (specifications)
> diffenrent Mode sections but 1024x768 at the highest
> ..
> (||) |810(0): Not using mode "1280x768i (no mode of that name)
                                       ^^^
If this is accurate, you seem to have a trailing letter 'i' in your xorg.conf
that invalidates the mode line.

And you're using an Intel 810 integrated graphics card. Sadly, that doesn't
come with probing tool that I know of that would print the information the
card and monitor exchange about syncrates and display sizes.

Rule out the typo first though.

I have a vague recollection of this card putting 1024x768 before 1280x768 in
the mode list it returns, so that it defaults to 1024x768, but I'm not sure
where or when I read that. Either way, hardcoding the desired modeline
(without typos) in xorg.conf should work.
If there was no typo, please paste your entire xorg.conf into the mail. We may
be missing something obvious.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.