non-US keyboard and KDM

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Nov 10 23:25:57 PST 2008

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 07:47:37 +0100 (CET), Pieter Donche <Pieter.Donche at ua.ac.be> wrote:
> I installed KDE and the KDM display manager in FreeBSD.
> On my portable I have a non-US keyboard (a european country layout),
> in KDE I can set it to the appropriate keyboard layout.
> KDM login window is still in US qwerty keyboard, which makes me have
> to enter my password with different keystrokes :-) How to set an
> appropriate keyboard in KDM?

I don't know, but you can set your keyboard layout generally for X,
so you have this layout everywhere (e. g. when you're running
something different than KDE, as well as in xdm or kdm).

Just change your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to fit your needs, according
to this example:

	Section "InputDevice"
	        Identifier      "Keyboard0"
	        Driver          "kbd"
	        Option          "XkbModel"              "pc105"
	        Option          "XkbLayout"             "de"
	        Option          "AutoRepeat"            "250 30"
	EndSection

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany