Strange messages by fetchmail: Server certificate verification error

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 22:22:26 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I installed my new FreeBSD 7 system along with fetchmail-6.3.8_4,
> no matter what I do I get these messages:
>
> fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to get local issuer certificate
> fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: certificate not trusted
> fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to verify the first certificate
> fetchmail: No mail for foo at pop.bar.com
> fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to get local issuer certificate
> fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: certificate not trusted
> fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to verify the first certificate
> fetchmail: No mail for pups at pop.furz.com
>
> But message retrieval works fine. I do get them from every POP3 server
> I have in the list.
>
> On my older FreeBSD 5 system with fetchmai-6.2.5_2, I don't get these
> messages, but message retrieval works there as well - with the same
> configuration files (~/.fetchmailrc).
>
> How can I get rid of these messages? Is it possible *not* to use any
> certification, just the way the older fetchmail version seemed it to
> do?

IIRC, when I used fetchmail and saw similar messages, installing the
'CA Root Certificate' port did the trick.  I believe it is security/ca
or something similar. (Not in front of my BSD box ATM.)

--
Glen Barber

"If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a Unix user to
show you how it's done."
 --Scott Adams