dump/restore don't work, handbook lies

peter cornelius consulting pcc at gmx.net
Mon Nov 10 12:48:24 PST 2008

On Tue Sep 2 14:01:06 UTC 2008 Kirk Strauser wrote:

 > On Sunday 31 August 2008 18:03:53 Lloyd M Caldwell wrote:
 >
 > > I needed to increase the size of my freebsd root (/).  I booted,
 > single
 > > user, attached a large usb freebsd formatted file system to receive
 > the
 > > backup image.
 >
 > And you're sure that the "large usb freebsd formatted file system" is
 > intact
 > and that your dump is uncorrupted?

I have just been bitten by a very similar problem as Lloyd Caldwell.

- restore complains about '/' not being writable (it is but what should
happen there??)
- restore extracts a few files but leaves most of the dump unrestored
with 'expecting YYYYYY got ZZZZZZ'

I have checked the dump several times with restore -rNf /dev/cd0 (yes,
it's to a series of DVD-RAMs) plus have extracted a few samples from the
first disk apparently from the area which works. Like Lloyd, I am
extremely ... delighted ... about the situation but well. Like Lloyd, I
have been using FreeBSD for several years with little to complain.

Like Lloyd, any help appreciated... Meanwhile I think I will reinstall
the box from scratch with 7.0-RELEASE and return to 7-STABLE but I do
miss my "backup" I must say...

Oh well.

All the best regards,

Peter.