Sluggish scheduling during a long disk copy

Szabolcs Szakacsits szaka at ntfs-3g.org
Mon Nov 10 11:00:09 PST 2008

Kris Kennaway <kris <at> FreeBSD.org> writes:

> Sounds like it to me.  ntfs-3g uses FUSE, which is a userland filesystem
> framework.  By design it will have poor I/O performance since every I/O
> transfer will require multiple trips into and out of the kernel.

Performance doesn't work like that for file systems because typically
the dominant factors are the file system design and the quality of the
implementation.

Even the still unoptimized ntfs-3g driver can far outperform other
kernel file systems in streaming read/write speed (maximum ever
measured sustained write speed is 902 MByte/s) and IO ops on Linux.

Regards,   Szaka

--
NTFS-3G: http://ntfs-3g.org