hit some FS/slice size limit?

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Thu Nov 6 13:09:33 PST 2008

> I partitioned my Seagate 500 GB Sata drive  under the FreeBSD 7.1 sysinstall
> (booted from the install CD while having the drive attached to USB on my
> notebook). When creating the filesystems I chose 472 G for the / partition
> (wanted to put everything into one partition - yeah, I know, one should

no - it's actually the best choice - one partition+swap, or no swap on
modern machines with many GB RAM.

> granulate this finer, but I didn' t want to bother right now). I got told
> that it could not create the slice
> (too big? it said). Hmm, is there some limit on a FreeBSD slice size?

no idea. i don't use slices because my FreeBSD drives doesn't need to
interoperate with DOS/Windoze.

i never use sysinstall too :), simply use disklabel without making slices,
make partitions and go on.

my largest "drive" (gstripe) was 3TB, works fine with bsdlabel and UFS