How to upgrade to KDE4

af300wsm at gmail.com af300wsm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 06:52:06 PST 2008

Hi,

I'm using FreeBSD 6.2-p11 (yes, I've got to update). A couple days ago I
updated my ports tree and went to update kde 3.5.6. At first I did a
portupgrade on the KDE meta-port but, ironically, the only thing that
updated was the meta-port (I did a portupgrade -r too). I should also say
that I first looked in /usr/ports/UPDATING and there weren't any particular
instructions (that I could find) for updating KDE. I opened the file in vim
and searched for "kde" and "KDE." On both searches, nothing regarding the
specific update of 3.5.x to 4.x was mentioned.

I'm having some problems updating the kdebase package now (since the
meta-port didn't update the whole thing, I'm updating individually to
3.5.10). It's having some compile time issues, something about an
identifier not existing in a particular namespace or some-such error, I've
got to look into it further. However, since I'm going through this
loathsome process anyway, would it be advisable to just do a "deinstall" of
the kde system and cd to /usr/ports/x11/kde (I think that's where it is)
and install 4.x (if that's even how to do it)? I would really prefer to run
4.x.

Thanks for any help,
Andy