7.1-BETA2 installation on ASUS P4S8X fails BIG MEDIUM ERROR

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Tue Nov 4 17:47:27 PST 2008

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 12:46:43PM -1000, Al Plant wrote:
>> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

>>> There is no hw.ata.ata-dma tunable.  I think you mean hw.ata.ata_dma
>>> (note: underscore, not hyphen).  If you really are using hw.ata.ata-dma,
>>> it does nothing.  :-)
>>>
>>> Also folks, please remember that "ATA DMA" is for hard disks, and
>>> "ATAPI DMA" is for ATAPI devices (CD/DVD drives).
>>>
>>> Error messages from xpt_* functions are from by the ATAPI-to-CAM
>>> emulation layer (think: SCSI emulation for ATAPI devices), but are
>>> likely signs of underlying compatibility problems between the CD/DVD
>>> drive and FreeBSD, and not the fault of atapicam(4).
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if there's a loader hint to disable xpt.

>>> The "READ BIG MEDIUM ERROR" often indicates that the CD/DVD drive does
>>> not support a specific read operation mode; some CD/DVD manufacturers
>>> don't implement this command for various reasons.
>>>
>> Aloha Jeremy,
>>
>> Thanks for catching the - vs _ .
>>
>> I hear  you, but I have to do the hw settings like above or the servers
>> wont boot they stick at a db>
>> or mountroot>
>
> Those are two very different things.  A db> prompt indicates you're
> hitting a kernel panic, while a mountroot> prompt indicates the OS can't
> find your root filesystem.
>
>> I think the 7 and 8 series OS are looking for SATA and dont like the IDE
>> drives I use.
>
> I understand, but what I'm saying is that "hw.ata.ata-dma=0" (note the
> hyphen) is not fixing/solving anything, because it contains a typo.
>
>> I know the atapi setting is for CD's and These are brand new DVD/CD RW
>> burners fwiw.
>>
>> A month or so back there were several people on line complaining about
>> this.
>>
>> Maybe one of the FreeBSD  comitters will have a look and see if
>> something is wrong.
>
> The "I get dropped to a mountroot prompt" problem has been reported many
> times, and so far there haven't been any indications what causes it to
> happen for people.

_____________

Aloha Jeremy,

The - was not in the installs. I typed it correctly in the several cases
where it was used.

It will be interesting to see if anybody can find a solution to these
issues.

I am not a coder just a long time user of FreeBSD, (since 3.*) I think
it was. It is such a rock solid system that most of us are curious when
something like this happens and its hard to find out why.

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* - 8.* +
   < email: noc at hdk5.net >