7.1-BETA2 installation on ASUS P4S8X fails BIG MEDIUM ERROR

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Tue Nov 4 10:13:36 PST 2008

Julien Cigar wrote:
> I've this problem too on almost all my machines. The only solution I've
> found is to disable DMA (atapi_dma), but then performances are very poor
> (and I'm still unable to burn a CD/DVD)
>
> On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 16:03 +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> don't know whether it's the CDROM drive (a Creative 52x mx) or the
>> motherboard (ASUS P4S8X) or what.
>> Anyway, I tried to install a recent version of FreeBSD (7.1-BETA2) and
>> the installation
>> hangs right in the boot process of the installation CD disc1.
>>
>> I see
>>
>> acd0: FAILURE - READ BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=0x00
>> run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 60 seconds for xpt_config
>> run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 120 seconds for xpt_config
>> run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 180 seconds for xpt_config
>>
>> and so on.
>>
>> Any clues?
>>
>> --
>> Christoph Kukulies
############

Aloha,

I have had similiar happen on 7 and 8 Freebsd installs recently.

If you install using safe mode it will work. Then in /boot/loader.conf

#boot/loader.conf
hw.ata.ata-dma=0
hw.ata.atapi_dma=0

This makes the HD and CD to  work for me after the install.

The error that comes up when you burn a CD seems to be bogus as I have
used the CD's with out error for installing on other boxes.

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* - 8.* +
   < email: noc at hdk5.net >