BSDstats: New High Water Mark: 25 000+ Hosts Reporting In

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Tue Nov 4 09:19:56 PST 2008

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008, andrew clarke wrote:

> On Mon 2008-11-03 18:33:57 UTC-0400, Marc G. Fournier (scrappy at hub.org) wrote:
>
>> For FreeBSD users, you just need to install /usr/ports/sysutils/bsdstats
>> to set things up.
>
> I stopped using bsdstats after it caused my FreeBSD router to take too
> long to boot up after a reboot.  If I recall correctly, I had
> bsdstats_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and after the reboot bsdstats
> was called before ppp was able to start, so it couldn't connect to the
> bsdstats server.  On the other hand this was a while ago and I am
> going by memory, so I may be wrong about what happened or it was just
> a coincidence.  At the time I was more interested in getting the
> router running so I didn't really care for debugging what was going
> on.  I realise this is a bit of a vague bug report, so feel free to
> ignore it.

There is an optional flag for 'reporting on reboot' ... the original
script only did reporting monthly, out of periodic, but some ppl (ie.
using laptops) suggesting an optional flag so that when they rebooted,
they would be counted also ...

And you are correct, just change:

bsdstats_enable="YES"

bsdstats_enable="NO"

And 'on reboot' will eb disabled, and only periodic will be used ... at a
minimum, you just need:

monthly_statistics_enable="YES"

in /etc/periodic.conf, wich will only report OS/version and skip the
devices/ports reports ...

----