garmin forerunner 305

Bob McConnell rvm at CBORD.com
Tue Nov 4 05:31:02 PST 2008

On Behalf Of Bruce Cran
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 20:24:02 +0100
> Bruce Cran <bruce at cran.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 11:51:33 -0300
>> "Joey Mingrone" <joey at mingrone.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Has anyone had any success collecting data from a Garmin Forerunner
>> > 305?
>> >
>> > When I connect the device I see the kernel messages:
>> > Sep  4 11:39:22 jrm root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x091e product
>> > 0x0003 bus uhub1
>> > Sep  4 11:39:22 jrm kernel: ugen0: <vendor 0x091e product 0x0003,
>> > class 255/255, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2> on uhub1
>> >
>> > The documentation for the port astro/GPSMan seems to indicate it
>> > supports this model, but I haven't had any luck.
>> >
>> > % uname -a
>> > FreeBSD xxx.xxx 7.0-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p1 #3: Thu Jun
12
>> > 18:47:50 ADT 2008     root at xxx.xxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/xxx  i386
>>
>> Unfortunately Garmin use their own protocol for communicating between
>> the GPS and the PC.  Under Linux it's supported by the garmin_gps
>> driver but there's no equivalent for FreeBSD yet.
>>

> Sorry, it turns out that's wrong: the gpsbabel developers recommend
not
> using garmin_gps because apparently it often doesn't work.  Instead
> they recommend using gpsbabel's 'garmin' input/output format.  It
> interfaces to the device using libusb - which, fortunately for us runs
> on FreeBSD! I've just successfully read back GPS data into a GPX file
> using gpsbabel on FreeBSD 8-CURRENT and the 'usb2' usb stack.
>
> I don't know if it'll work with the usb stack that's in shipping
> version of FreeBSD though, and even with the new stack I had to make a
> change to libgpsusb.c in gpsbabel to get it working.

The best way to help fix these problems are:

A) Submit a patch for the changes you made.

B) Contact the maintainers and provide them with all of the details,
what you found, what didn't work, what you modified and the final
results. If you have traces or data captures, they may want to see them.
They can't fix problems they don't understand. If they don't have access
to that hardware, or something similar, they might even ask you to do
some experiments for them to extend their knowledge. All of that will
help them improve the quality of future releases.

Bob McConnell