Qemu network question

Mario Lobo mlobo at digiart.art.br
Mon Nov 3 17:18:02 PST 2008

Hi:

Please use a fixed font to see the diagram bellow:

       FBSD HOST(7.1-PRERELEASE)
      +-----------------+
      |    10.10.10.1   |
 LAN -+----- re0        |
      |                 |
      |    +-----+      |
  +---+----+tap0 |      |
  |  ++----+tap1 |      |
  |  ||    +-----+      |
  |  ||    bridge0      |  (if_bridge)
  |  || 192.168.100.254 |
  |  |+-----------------+
  |  |
  |  |      QEMU GUEST 1 (linux Fedora core 5)
  |  |   +-----------------+
  |  |   |                 |
  |  +---+---- eth0        |
  |      | 192.168.100.1   |
  |      |                 |
  |      +-----------------+
  |         QEMU GUEST 2  (windows XP)
  |      +-----------------+
  |      |                 |
  +------+--- realtek      |
         | 192.168.100.2   |
         |                 |
         +-----------------+

It's working like a charm !

I turned my FBSD desktop into a router/gateway, put pf to nat everything and
set up an independent smb server on the host. Pings travel on any direction!.
The guests have access to ALL the host's files and vice versa, BOTH guests
have internet access and best of all, I can access the linux guest through an
ssh shell and the windows guest through vncviewer, and, of course, the 2
guests see each other ! Imagine how happy I am !

I tried this without turning my desktop into a gateway. The guests had
internet access but the host was invisible to them and I got tired of trying
to make qemu's -smb option work, so I adapted this "a-bit radical" approach I
saw on a how-to for Sun OS I found on the net.

I'm really impressed with qemu performance !. I´ve compiled kernels, built
RPMs and the reduction in performance from doing these things in a separate
machine is really endurable.

My question is: If I don't put re0 into promiscous mode, all of this falls
apart ! The network goes totally down for the host<->guests, but the host
retains its internet conectivity. I discovered that by chance! I was trying
to find out what was happening with conectivity so I tried pinging the host
from the linux guest. As soon as I started tcpdump on the host, the pings
went through so I found out what I needed from there.

Is this normal or is there something wrong with my NIC? setup?

Thanks,
--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br