Images-only webserver, lighttpd vs NginX

Francis Dubé freebsd at optiksecurite.com
Mon Nov 3 11:29:38 PST 2008

Hi everyone,

I posted last week about my webserver hitting the kernel's max process
allowed (error : "collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing
PMAP_SHPGPERPROC").

As a part of the solution, I decided to build a jail with a light
webserver dedicated to images requests, the biggest part of the requests
the server have to process. Most of the websites hosted on the server
have approximately 200 small images with a size between 1k and 32k each.
I'm currently hesitating between NginX and lighttpd, which both seems to
offer similar benchmarks for this job. The questions :

Is someone doing something similar to this with one of the two ?
Which one do you suggest and why ?
I've read about a memory leak in lighttpd, is anyone is having issues
with this under FreeBSD ?

Any ideas regarding our situation is appreciated,

Thanks !

Francis Dube
R & D
Optik Securite