Is KDE4 usable on FreeBSD?

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Mon Nov 3 09:56:44 PST 2008

On Monday 03 November 2008 18:08:38 Mark Moellering wrote:

> The other problems I had dealt with thrid-party programs.  There is no
> (at least as of a few months ago) K3B for KDE-4 and no FreeBSD port of
> Ktorrent for KDE-4.  I tried the linux port but had lots of problems.
> I ultimately changed back to the 3.5.9(?) version from packages.  I am
> using an intel quad core running amd64 FreeBSD 7.0 Release

We had a similar experience and for this reason patched the kernel, using
instructions found here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-jail/2008-March/000217.html

Then have set up a jail with an updated kde-4 installed there. Every once in a
while, we copy over the home dirs and run the jailed version, so that configs
on the host system are untouched, but we still get a full experience test.

> Also, to start you need to give an explicit path, something like
> /usr/local/kde-4/bin/startkde in the .xinitrc file.  (at least I could
> never get anything else to work)

This is easily worked around by adding /usr/local/kde4/bin
and /usr/local/kde4/sbin to your PATH in .profile, /etc/profile
or /etc/login.conf.

Lastly another annoyance is having to click the app menu for it to move to the
next category, but I'm sure that's configurable somewhere (I hope).
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.