Is KDE4 usable on FreeBSD?

Mark Moellering mark at msen.com
Mon Nov 3 09:35:56 PST 2008

Thomas Abthorpe wrote:

> On November 2, 2008 08:01:38 pm FBSD1 wrote:

I have used KDE-4   While some of the graphics are much better looking,
I thought it lacked some functionality.  These are minor issues but
several of the old (KDE 3.5.X) control panel options were not available
(or I couldn't find them) and figuring out where to set certain options
was not that intuitive for me.  I never found a central location for
settings, it seemed that each control (menu, taskbar, etc) had it's own
'right click' sort of settings page.
The small thing that truly bugged me is that I normally only display
programs for the current desktop in the taskbar, but there was a small
control that you could select that would display all windows on all
desktops (I forget its official name).  I used it alot to make sure I
didn't forget something running, etc.  I couldn't find this taskbar
control in KDE 4.
The other problems I had dealt with thrid-party programs.  There is no
(at least as of a few months ago) K3B for KDE-4 and no FreeBSD port of
Ktorrent for KDE-4.  I tried the linux port but had lots of problems.
Also, to start you need to give an explicit path, something like
/usr/local/kde-4/bin/startkde in the .xinitrc file.  (at least I could
never get anything else to work)
I ultimately changed back to the 3.5.9(?) version from packages.  I am
using an intel quad core running amd64 FreeBSD 7.0 Release

Hope this helps.

Mark Moellering