XFCE4

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 22:50:32 PST 2008

joeb wrote:

> FBSD1 wrote:
>
>> What port names need to be installed to create a XFCE4 desktop
>>
> environment?
>
>> I was looking for a mega port like kde3 has but could not identify one.
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> I'm going to rake a random guess: x11-wm/xfce4 ?

It is not really a random guess, x11-wm/xfce4 is the metaport you need
to build for a working XFCE4 environment.
There are a couple of additional tools you may also wish to use in this
environment. I would recommend graphics/ristretto for a lightweight
image viewer,  sysutils/thunar-volman-plugin to handle mounting of
external media, sysutils/xfce4-battery-plugin if running on a laptop.

Also, make sure to read:

Section 5.7.4:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html

For usb mounting:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/usb-disks.html

For policy kit / hal settings:

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html

and when compiling Thunar (the file manager) make sure to select FAM
support from the options dialog.